Wednesday, December 3, 2008

coalition fever

Who said Canadian politics is boring? Wow - what a time! It's hard to believe that cold-eyed Mr. H. has been, as they say, hoist with his own petard - undone by his own vindictiveness and arrogance. Instead of getting on with the huge and vital job of helping us through this economic mess, Harper went about settling scores, with the help of his nasty Chief of Staff, former Mike Harris gremlin Guy Giorno.  

Who can believe what happened next, that the hapless Mr. H. and Mr. G. united the opposition into one angry and powerful voice? I know a functional coalition government is probably a pipe dream.  Something will happen; the unity of the opposition parties will fall apart, Harper will find a way out, something. I know Canadians don't want Dion as PM, and even now, although I approve of his platform, I am impatient to hear his mangled English.  But still, this is democracy at its best. Canadians are engaged in their political process at last. And surely Mme. Jean will do something wise. 

For more info, please go to www.MakeParliamentWork.ca. It lists rallies in support of the coalition all over the country, one in Toronto this Saturday December 6th at noon on Nathan Phillips Square. I haven't been to a good rally since the anti-Harper one in support of the arts ... two months ago. Hooray, more rallies!

Speaking of rallies, there's a fascinating article about our own Naomi Klein in this week's "New Yorker."  She herself doesn't like rallies and marches, finding them embarrassingly earnest unless there's satire and humour involved.  Okay, organisers - let's have some coalition humour on Saturday!

Went to see the extraordinarily powerful "Slumdog Millionaire" the other day. Even in the midst of our recession, this film gives an unforgettable perspective on the luxury and ease of our Canadian lives.  Haunting.

And for those of you who've been following my on-going struggle with my own work, I'm happy to say - we're off! I sent a draft of the current essay to my friend Bruce, who called to say that it's the best thing I've ever written. I don't know about that, but I do know it feels mighty good to feel it all working again, that flow from brain and heart and gut down through the arms and onto the shiny white screen. 

More rallies, more writing, more democracy, more stunning films.  Despite the freezing dark of winter, it's an exciting Canada today.


1 comment:

  1. Hello! I’ve been reading
    your weblog for a while now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and
    give you a shout out from New
    Caney Tx!
    Just wanted to mention keep up the good job!

    Here is my site; fab.sfc.keio.ac.jp

    ReplyDelete