Sunday, August 23, 2009

Muriel Duckworth, 1908-2009



More bad, sad news from home - Muriel Duckworth, one of the world's great souls, has died.

My parents were involved in the Ban the Bomb movement in Halifax in the Fifties and Sixties and knew Muriel and her husband Jack well. Mum and Muriel were members of the Voice of Women. In the many years since, Muriel has never stopped working for peace. She was one of the most genuine, open, generous, compassionate human beings imaginable.

I was lucky enough to be invited to one of her hundredth birthday parties last summer. There were three - one in Magog, where she had gone every summer for decades; one outside of Ottawa, near much of her family, and the last one in Halifax on the actual day. Though she was fairly frail and sat much of the day in a walker, she was absolutely articulate, 100% mentally alert, full of life.

The shot above is with a grandson, and below, with her daughter Eleanor, not surprisingly another extremely smart, independent and active woman who teaches at Harvard and decided, in her early seventies, to take up modern dance.

It is fitting that Muriel died in Magog, where she was so happy and spent so much time.

The world needs hundreds, thousands, millions of Muriels. It's our tragedy that there was only one.


5 comments:

  1. Hi Beth,
    Your friend Muriel sounds like a person we all should emulate.
    Fruit Loops smell horrible so I hope they're wrong. Chanel always makes gorgeous perfume. I loved Coco for a long time.
    I just want to tell you how much I have enjoyed your blog while you were in France and England. I have only really travelled to France but now must go there again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carolyn, thank you in return for having been such a faithful reader and supporter. It meant a great deal to me that even people I'd never met were cheering me on!

    The blog will continue, not daily any more and not so much about beauty and adventure - well, yes, it'll be the beauty and adventure of everyday life. But for sure, if I leave my handbag on the Toronto streetcar, it's not quite the same thing.

    I do hope you return to Europe, and that we meet, one of these days.

    best
    beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been exploring for a bit for any high quality articles or weblog posts in this kind of area . Exploring in Yahoo I at last stumbled upon this website. Reading this info So i am happy to exhibit that I've a very good uncanny feeling I discovered just
    what I needed. I so much unquestionably will make sure to do
    not disregard this site and give it a glance regularly.


    my web page :: best diet plans for women

    ReplyDelete
  4. I visited many web pages except the audio feature for audio songs present at this web
    page is truly excellent.

    Have a look at my webpage: http://trimextrindiet.com

    ReplyDelete