Tuesday, March 2, 2010

hockey report from Vancouver

Chris wrote from Vancouver about his Sunday, the day of the Canada- U.S. hockey game, which, by the way, broke the viewing records - at some point, 80% of this country tuned in to the game, and more than 16 million Canadians and 27 million Americans watched it all. In Toronto, crowds flooded downtown and paralysed Yonge Street for hours. And in Vancouver, Chris, who had breakfast with one friend and then walked across the bridge to have dinner with another, wrote,
On the way to breakfast, AT EVERY BAR AND RESTAURANT WE PASSED, there was a line up of people dressed in red waiting to get in. When, after eating, I went to the washroom, I was shocked to see the pub and lobby of where we were PACKED with people watching TVs. There were TVs throughout the restaurant so everyone could watch the game. The streets were empty. Flags hung from every balcony. Clearly, virtually everyone in Canada was watching the game.

In my house for a quick change before leaving, I heard this DEAFENING roar coming from the city and I knew we had scored a goal. I headed off to walk to my friends in North Van. When I reached Denman and Davie, I heard another deafening roar and I knew we had scored again. The whole city was shaking.Then I headed into Stanley Park.

When I got to Prospect Point in the park, there was not a soul there. That is something I have never seen. The staff told me the score was 2-to-1 for Canada and I headed over the bridge. At Park Royal on the other side, I heard it was still 2-to-1 and that there were only 2 minutes left in the game. I walked thinking, I will know in a few minutes because cars will be coming by honking their horns when we win. But that did not happen. At 14th and Marine, I went into a 711 store and heard we were going into overtime, that the US had scored in the final seconds.

As I reached John and Bunny's place, literally as I was crossing the street to their driveway, I heard the ships' horns in the harbour sounding and I knew we had won. John came running out and hurried me in to see the replay of Sidney Crosby's winning goal, and I saw what I like most—the celebration.

After dinner, when my bus home hit Georgia Street, I knew I was in trouble; you could see the flashing lights up ahead. The cacophony was deafening. I walked dodging the BILLIONS of people on the street. Traffic could not move. There was citizen anarchy on the roads—people were in control. Cars were idle. Horns were honking and it was about 9:15.

I made my way home and the noise from the streets was deafening and it lasted until 3:00 am when I finally took an Atavan so I could sleep. Vancouver partied like never before last night.

Now we have a break until March 12th when the Paralympics begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment