Monday, January 3, 2011

cool but not that cool

Sitting outside the ice cream store in the Walgreen stripmall, 9 a.m. Monday morning - cool, gloomy, misty - not a glimmer of sun. But it's still milder than Toronto, even if it rains, as it did yesterday. I swam in the rain; the pool was 85 degrees. What's wonderful about this weather is that everyone disappears except the hardiest or those who are leaving soon. On the endless beach yesterday, there were maybe a dozen people as far as the eye could see. Nobody by the pool. Paradise.

My solitary idyll is drawing to a close - today I see the lawyer and try to sort out business matters for my mother, and tomorrow evening I'm back in cold reality. This is enough sand for me; I have loved the quiet, the reading and work, the mild damp air, the sea smell. It's been great, reading the actual "New York Times" every day. I have loved especially the new ice cream I discovered - Haagen-Dazs peanut butter and chocolate. Can you imagine the bliss of my two favourite substances, combined with a great deal of cream?

But the lack of internet access drives me mad, and I want my real life back.

One thing I cannot help but notice, as I excoriate these Floridians for their vile politics and their abominable eating habits - how friendly everyone is. Everyone smiles, says hello and is ready to chat. It would be easy to make friends, if I ever stayed longer than a few days.

Which is unlikely. Because I just can't stand this much pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment