Thursday, March 3, 2011

Missing James Travers

Terrible, sad news for my country today - James Travers, the suberb "Star" columnist, has died at the age of 62. At this dire time in Canada's history, with Stephen Harper's Republican Party hacks pushing the country ever further to the right, and the loathsome Ford brothers just beginning to hack their destructive trail through this city, we desperately need the truth-telling clarity, the conscience and the sharp-eyed intelligence that Travers brought to his columns.

A powerful and important voice has been silenced, just when we need him most.

2 comments:

  1. Beth,

    Indeed, a very sad day for our country, but more so for a friend.

    James Travers was the father of Patrick Travers, who along with his lovely wife Emily is a dear friend of my fiancé.

    Patrick is the salt-of-the-earth, and from what I've read all over the news today, so was James.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, James Travers had the ability to make sure his readers understood exactly what was at stake, in the goings-on in Ottawa, for the country and for the world. Of course, the fact that his world view coincided so exactly with mine only increased my respect for him.

    Please, if you can, give my condolences to Patrick through your fiancé. Tell him that as a "Star" reader, I looked forward to James's columns and often cheered out loud after I'd read them. When I heard of his death, I felt an intense grief for what we have lost as a country.

    ReplyDelete