Sunday, March 27, 2011

praying for Canada

P.S.
Another great blessing - I will be out of the country for the first weeks of the election campaign. Because, as you bloggees know, the very sight of Stephen Harper makes me sick. Those cute little glasses they've given him, and the fact that he has actually learned to crack his face into the semblance of a real smile - oh God, I pray for my country. The savage, calculating, utterly conscienceless band in Ottawa have already transformed my country into a closed, secretive place increasingly despised by other countries. The thought of what will happen if they get a majority makes my skin crawl and my stomach heave.

After I wrote the title of this blog post, I realized that I don't even know what I'm praying for. Another minority government, I guess. Ignatieff not to blow it so badly that the Liberals are wiped out. That the country survives long enough that the Liberals can elect another, better leader, or the NDP can - not that I have anything against Jack, but the party has not been able to break the logjam - or someone can produce a leader who embodies the Canada, real or imagined, that we used to have, the compassionate, engaged country of Tommy Douglas and David Suzuki.

As "The Guardian" newspaper says:

Canada escaped the worst of the [financial] crisis, thanks to its sensibly regulated banking sector and its natural resources. As a result, Harper just keeps getting lucky, the prototype of the current crop of charisma-free middle managers that dominate leadership in Anglo-Saxon democracies. Harper's wonkmates are Britain's David Cameron, New Zealand's John Key and Australia's Julia Gillard – all of whom are the heads of minority governments and all of whom stress managerial competence. But none of the quartet can deliver a speech worth crossing a road to hear.

Followed by the response that Harper is "a gormless, dictatorial micro manager." Couldn't have said it better myself.


2 comments:

  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts.Any way Ill be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with you...I just hope the rest of Canada feels that way. When he was elected, I was thinking, hopefully it wouldn't be that bad. My mom said by her instincts, that Harper looks like a double-faced agent, and highly capable of deceit. I thought, ok, be judgemental, since that's what we all need right? lol...little did I know she would be so on the target.

    Harper also really make me sick. Honestly, I am shocked at how stealthily things changed for the worse, it's either that Harper is a ninja, or we are all distracted by fake promises offered by his government...or even worse, our media is in their pocket...
    Probably a combination of all three.

    I think if everyone of voting age, votes against Harper, we might have a shot at escaping more crap. Wish Harper would go wreak havoc elsewhere. That being said, I wonder how his mind works. Is he deliberately doing things to benefit the population that he deems worthwhile, or does he firmly believe that he is doing the right thing? Like a dictator would?

    ReplyDelete