Saturday, April 30, 2011

cancelling the Globe and Mail

I love much about the paper, and I did it regretfully - just called to cancel my subscription. But they have endorsed Stephen Harper as the best man to lead Canada for the next four years. So that's it between me and the Globe and Mail. Our affair is over.

Obviously they couldn't endorse the hopeless Ignatieff, and such a conservative paper couldn't support radical Jack. They could have maintained a dignified silence and urged people to follow their consciences and vote, or something like that. No, they actively endorsed the man by printing a list of the many fabulous things he has done for the country.

I will miss many columnists, including Jeffrey Simpson and my neighbour Tabatha Southey. I will not miss Margaret Wente. Thank heavens for the Star, a deeply Liberal newspaper which today issued a ringing endorsement of the NDP.

Sunny and warm this morning, and the trees in my yard are covered with buds. In the soft spring air, the fate of my country, still, hangs in the balance.

3 comments:

  1. I thought you had canceled the Globe earlier this year? Or was that the Star? Sally

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm - Sally, I'm sure I didn't cancel earlier this year. It's probable I have cancelled, then eventually seen an article I liked and started again. No one has ever accused me of too much consistency.
    Readers with long memories - I'll have to get used to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. it may be that not every one issue is going to be appropriate
    of what I point out but that's what makes me human. We can't alays be correct but I never lie!
    I attempt to complete my ideal. Many thanks for dropping by though!


    Take a look at my web page; six pack Shortcuts login

    ReplyDelete