Wednesday, April 27, 2011

weddings and elections

I swear to God, is there something wrong with me? I find this wedding frenzy utterly incomprehensible. People are getting up in the middle of the night to watch it; the television is crawling with documentaries, docudramas, talking heads; the Star has about 18 journalists in London to cover it ... and all I can say is, who the hell cares? She seems like a very nice young woman and he's a nice young man who suffered a terrible tragedy in his life. I hope they're very happy. Now go away and leave me alone.

Especially with the horror looming - ol' ice eyes, doing his best to say nothing before election day, so the idiotic 35 or 40% who've decided to vote for him don't suddenly understand their mistake. How can people not be revolted by the scandals and lies? But they don't care or notice. I'm concerned that the trumpeting of the polls showing Jack Layton in the ascendant will mobilize reactionary forces like nothing else. Just what we need - a stirring of the hornet's nest of the right wing.

For those of you wanting to vote strategically, here's a fantastic tool, thanks to Avaaz.org, a terrific activist organization to which I've just sent money. My riding is not in question - Bob Rae is a very good man. But my mother's riding in Ottawa is the seat of the vile John Baird, whom Mum is desperate to unseat. According to the Avaaz link below, where you can enter your postal code and receive an instant analysis of your riding's situation, she should vote for the Liberal candidate, who has the best chance of getting rid of her meat-faced bully of a representative. Give it a try yourself. VOTE STRATEGICALLY. Oh hell - just VOTE!

No comments:

Post a Comment