Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Marché Monge

Went this morning to one of my favourite markets - on the rue Monge, Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays, a little local market with mostly food, some clothes and stuff, and wonderful Turkish take out.  I just bought some endives, an avocado, tulips, a tape measure ... From there to the supermarket Franprix, for cereal, wine - a Cotes de Rhone on sale for about $6 - coffee, clementines. And then passing the bakery, could not resist a quiche with spinach and chèvre and a tarte aux pommes. My main destination - Picard, the most incredible place full of frozen deliciousness. If I lived here I might never cook or chop a vegetable again, so amazing are the bags of cut produce and cooked stuff at Picard. Everything I got today was on sale - a soupe au pistou and a soup made from "legumes du soleil": - tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini, red pepper. A"brunoise a la meridional" - those same vegetables cut up small. Spinach a la creme. Aiguillettes de canard - marinated slivers of duck breast.

For lunch, I have the option of heating up the quiche and making a salad, or marinated duck breast with chopped vegetables and spinach in cream. Comment choisir?

An hour later - had the soupe au pistou and half the quiche, and now I remember about Picard. The stuff is easy but not always sublime. The soup was not sublime. The quiche, however, was. And now, the tarte aux pommes with coffee and out into the day. It was zero degrees this morning, but the sun is bright and it's warming up. A bit. Yesterday was as cold as I've ever been in Paris.

Last night my loneliness vanished - because I started to work, which is what I'm here for. Work, and maybe just a bit of pleasure. I'll give it a whirl.
Click to enlarge.
Saucissons.
Poissons.
Close up of amazing selection of poissons.
Legumes.
Spoils chez moi.
Close up of Picard products.

1 comment:

  1. This market looks wonderful, Beth! I'm catching up on your European jaunt -- so well done. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete