Sunday, June 1, 2014

sweet Sunday

One of my favourite days of the year, as longterm readers will know - the Ride for Heart shuts down the Don Valley Parkway, and the neighbourhood is still. I went for a bike ride on the trail - on all sides, birdsong (a huge population of redwing blackbirds), sunshine, the babble of the river, and below, the singing of my wheels. Heaven in the core of the inner city.

This afternoon, I made a stir fry while listening to Eleanor Wachtel interview a young Chinese writer about Tiananmen Square. Lucky Canadians. A note from my friend Lynn in France about the 50th anniversary of L'Arche, where she worked for many years and I for six unforgettable, life-changing months. Later, my neighbours Mary and Malcolm came for a glass of rosé on the deck. Mary is a dear friend and also my lawyer - she brought my will for an update. She came to buy ten copies of the memoir for all her friends. "It took me back," she said. "It reminded me of how complicated my relationship with my mother was." Me too, Mary. Me too.

2 comments:

  1. I love those green places within the city -- Central Park, Stanley Park, the Common in Halifax (remember it?). And how interesting about L'Arche. My sister-in-law is involved with the L'Arche community on Vancouver Island and -- she's a lawyer -- has done legal work for them too. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the tragedies of Toronto is that the lake is hidden behind a wall of concrete, and there's only one big park way off to the west. But there are ravines and small parks - though in my neighbourhood, always accompanied by the roar from the DVP. That's why it's so magical when it's closed for a day.
    Living at L'Arche was a profoundly affecting experience. There's an essay about it on my website under CBC Radio, under Articles.
    Cheers on this beautiful Monday, Theresa.

    ReplyDelete