Saturday, January 23, 2016

Happy National Handwriting Day

It's NationalHandwritingDay! Hooray, any excuse for a celebration. Check out the Twitter hashtag #NationalHandwritingDay and see what people have posted, wonderful stuff. Though it's very cold, it was a beautiful sunny bright day here in Trawna, as opposed to NYC and Washington which have been slammed with a huge storm. I wrote to my New York cousin, who said he and his partner are holed up in their country place with enough food for a week, hoping the power doesn't go out, eighteen inches of snow so far.

And here - not one snowflake. And we have Justin and they have Sarah Palin and Donald Trump. I told him if he and Henry want to come to Canada as refugees, I'd sponsor them.

I just pulled a suitcase from under my bed, containing a pile of journals from decades past - talk about handwriting, enough already. Today, riding my bike around town - yes, a bit chilly, but refreshing in the sun, doing errands, including going to Roy Thomson Hall to try to get one tiny ticket to tonight's Mozart Requiem - completely sold out, sadly, just as I'd feared and as the computer had indicated. Well, it was worth trying. So tonight, I'll be watching an episode of Borgen on the computer, listening to Randy Bachman, more work, and perhaps I'll find a CD or record of the Requiem, I'm sure I have it somewhere, and put it on.

Yesterday my neighbour Monique and I had dinner and went to watch the Peggy Baker Dance Project; I'm a longtime fan of this amazing solo dancer with the longest, loosest limbs in the world - even her fingers are long and loose, I know because she used to work out at the Y. This wasn't her, it was her troupe, dancing ... just like Peggy.

Last week Trevor Noah featured a young British singer called Jess Glynne singing her hit Don't be so hard on yourself. I LOVE IT! My new anthem! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THeLVhU53ow   And a beautiful video to go with it.

And another treat a friend just sent me, a young Japanese group singing "All My Loving." Very funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gTK1_ijwgo.  Spotify reports that since the Beatles catalogue was put online at Xmas, their music has been downloaded 250 million times. Yes. And that most of the fans are young. Isn't that fantastic?

Why don't those young people buy a certain MEMOIR about the early days of the Beatles, hmmm? Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment