Friday, January 1, 2016

the wisdom of Oliver Sacks

A book of essays by the beautiful doctor Oliver Sacks, "Gratitude," has recently been published. He's contemplating his life in light of his terminal cancer diagnosis. Here's an excerpt, as your New Year's day present. My sentiments exactly, Dr. Sacks. Thank you for everything you were and gave.

I cannot pretend I am without fear. But my predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved; I have been given much and I have given something in return; I have read and travelled and thought and written. I have had an intercourse with the world, the special intercourse of writers and readers.

Above all I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and adventure.

The special intercourse of writers and readers - how well put. And here we are, you and I. Onward into 2016, my dear friends.


http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/opinion/oliver-sacks-on-learning-he-has-terminal-cancer.html?_r=0

No comments:

Post a Comment